Wednesday 5 February 2014

THE ROAD

Got this for Christmas off the kids. Not exactly zombies, but it is post-apocalypse and it has got cannibals, so nearly. I cannot recommend this book enough, if you have never read anything by the author then you are missing out.
  The story is about a father and his son making their way to the coast in a post apocalyptic America. The actual cause of the apocalypse is never explained, but it seems like a nuclear winter. The entire landscape is either burnt or covered in ash. Crops have failed, animals have died out, they scavenge food where they can. Ultimately they have to avoid other people, as there is only one thing left to eat......... people. They have a gun to protect themselves but only a couple of bullets, it's also made plain that this is also a quick way out if things go wrong, so using these last bullets is endlessly worried over.
   I read this in a couple of days, could not put it down. It is horrorfying and brutal, yet at the same time sad and beautiful. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.
                'til next time in the words of the DUDE take it easy.

8 comments:

  1. I have seen a lot of praise for the film based upon this book, but yours is one of the first reviews of the book that I've read. I've read a lot of books and seen many films based upon the recommendations of others, so I always enjoy reviews like yours. For my own blog, I find book and filn reviews garner far fewer comments than batreps or figure reviews. To me, however, they are all part and parcel of the hobby, so don't be put off by doing more book and/or film reviews. I, for one, appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film is almost as good the book, Cormac McCarthy is an excellent author, he manages to paint an incredible picture with words. This book is truly moving. His other novel No Country For Old Men is also a riveting read.
      Don't worry I'm not put off, besides I had quite a few new books for Christmas off the children, read them all within three weeks. So there will be more reviews, and they all have a post-apocalypse theme. No zombies though sorry.

      Delete
  2. The book is a very bleak post apocalyptic setting and the story-line is riveting. It was definetly a page turner/can't put down when I read it. The film I thought was truly excellent too and followed the book very closely.
    I agree that anyone into any post-apocalyptic gaming should read this.
    There are of course figures available, aimed at representing the central characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you, Joe, the film does follow the book very closely. The cinematography was also very good, pretty much dead on with the landscapes described in the novel.
    One of the best post apocalyptic settings, because there was no prospects for mankind we seemed doomed as a species.
    Yes I've seen the figures they look sweet, the whole set actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is always a great book to read or movie to see if you are in a good mood and need to be depressed. very excellent telling of the post apocalypse, unfortunately...

    I thought it was a great read, and the visuals (both from the movie and the descriptions in the book) are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Nobody667, thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  5. A good review and one I can wholeheartedly agree with fantatsic book and No Country for Old men is another good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best PA novels I have read, No Country For Old Men was an excellent read, McCarthy's an awesome author.

      Delete